5 Tips For Seattle’s Remodeled Home Tour
The Remodeled Homes Tour in Seattle is this coming October 20th and 21st. This will be the fourth year we’ve featured one of our Seattle remodel projects on this tour, so we’ve come to learn lots of tips from Tour-goers! Here are 5 tips for Seattle’s Remodeled Home Tour….
1. Plan Ahead
Peruse the Tour website and make a short-list of the homes that appeal to you based on the photos or descriptions. There are too many homes to visit in one day! Then make a driving plan.
2. Dress Properly
You’ll be taking your shoes off in each home, so wear shoes that are easy to slip on and off! Socks are a good idea, too.
3. Think About Food (and bathroom)
Food and drink are not allowed in the homes, so pack snacks and water bottles in your car. Plan a lunch stop at a favorite spot. It could be a long day! P.S. bathrooms are also not available in the houses, so “go first”!
4. Prepare Questions
If you’re planning a remodel or construction project yourself, plan to ask specific questions to the contractors and designers at each stop. For instance it’s important to know who was on the “team” that played a part in this project, how the design was arrived at before construction started, and how selection decisions were handled. Some simple questions that should garner information:
- Was there someone who guided you through floor plan changes and overall design strategies?
- What process did you go through to decide on interior finishes and fixtures?
- Who chose the toilets, lights, and countertops?
- How did you decide on paint color?
5. Get Lots of Information
If you’re interested in finding out more about a particular contractor or architect for your own project, it’s essential to speak to former clients! Get their names and contact info, and ask basic questions like:
- Did the project come in on-time and on-budget?
- Would you hire this contractor / architect / designer / firm again?
- What is one thing you would do differently?
- What wouldn’t you change?
If you have any questions about making the most out of the Remodeled Home Tour, please don’t hesitate to email us and ask, check out some homes online, and also be sure to check out the main Seattle Remodeled Home Tour website for rules and information on tickets.